Thursday, June 07, 2007

Looking for New Light Action Combo

I've had a couple of Sports Authority gift cards that have been burning a hole in my pocket since my birthday, so I'm thinking of getting a light-action rod and reel to use when fishing with the kids. It should be light enough for the type of fish we get out of the canal, but I want to be able to use it for yellow tail and other near-shore species as well. I want to keep the whole thing under $100. I've asked for help from the SF Sportsman Forum also. Here are the reels under consideration:
  • Daiwa 3000: $64.99
  • Shimano Sahara 4000: $59.99

  • Okuma Epixor EF45: $69.99 (MSRP)

    This one probably won't make the cut. The cost seems high and I don't think Sports Authority caries it. They list the Okuma Epixor reels as freshwater and the only ones they have are much less than MSRP. I doubt that is the same one.
More to come as I review the rods.

1 comment:

Ray said...

UPDATE: I ended up going with the Shimano Sahara reel on a 6.5' Ugly Stick. I think the rod is a little too heavy for the reel, but it works for now. I also spooled on braid for the first time. The jury is still out on that choice, though.